Monday, January 11, 2010

Javelina Showdown

My heart is still racing after taking Gizmo (our pug dog) on his nightly walk. It started out fine. I put him on his leash and we headed out the door towards the apartment gate. We usually walk around the perimeter of the parking lot out to the mailboxes, I check the mail, then we head back home.

Tonight as I exited into the parking lot and closed the gate I saw something moving in the corner about 8 feet away. It was a family of three javelina's, Arizona's version of a wild boar! They were moving towards me and Gizmo!!!

I freaked out! I pulled so hard on Gizmo's leash so he came between my legs and I plastered myself against the gate door searching for my keys. Someone was coming up the walkway and I yelled for them to open the door QUICK! FAST FAST FAST!!!! They opened it looking at me like I was crazy, but I just rushed us both in and slammed the door behind me.


At that point I told them what was going on and we peeked through the gate to watch the knee-high pigs hang out...they were watching us too. I have had friends dogs get hurt or killed by javelina's so I am very thankful that I saw them when I did and we got to a safe place.

The helpful neighbors decided to exit out of another gate because the javelina's were barricading ours. I decided that it wasn't so important to check the mail tonight and just took Gizmo safely home. Now to watch tv and try to calm down a little!!!

No comments: