Saturday, January 2, 2010

2009: Year in Review

Just saw this today, I know its a little late but I really wanted to share what I've learned this last year. I posted this on my facebook but thought I'd share it here also.

What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Peter grew from a crawling baby into a toddler that can run circles around us. He is now a little boy with his own thoughts, feelings and opinions. It's amazing to me that all that can happen in one short year!

What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Diagnosing and working with Peter's food allergies. It took months to narrow down what he was allergic to, then finding ways to work within those parameters. I had a hard time accepting that he was not going to be able to eat certain things and that I must always make his food from scratch myself. It completely changed how we look at our meals.

What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Getting to spend a good chunk of the Xmas season with the Palmer family in Phoenix and Xmas weekend with the Ayres family in Iowa. I love that Peter got to spend so much time with family for the holidays.

What was an unexpected obstacle?
Peter swallowing a penny and having to go into surgery to get it out. After a rush to the ER we spent an impromptu few days in the hospital letting him recover. It was the scariest and hardest time of his little life so far.

Pick three words to describe 2009.
Growing, Learning, Fun

With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My husband, Peter, our Family, MMOT moms

What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
Being happy in my choice to stay home with Peter. I've learned that having an extra income doesn't necessarily make things better. I can see that the time I spend with Peter is making a difference and is not something just anyone can do (especially with his allergies.) I'm grateful that I am able to find ways to maintain a happy lifestyle.

What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
I learned to save money with price matching and coupons. I love shopping and love saving and finding good deals. I have found lots of cheap/free things for us to do that has made living on one income seem not nearly as hard as when we were both working. I love that I have figured out how to make it work for us.

What was your most challenging area of home management?
Cleaning. My home is cluttered and unorganized and messy and annoying.

What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Facebook, driving to activities

What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Going to MMOT playdates and events. Both Peter, me and even John love spending time with other the other families and kiddos. We've done lots of great new things with them, had lots of support, and made many new friends.

What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
Spending wisely. It's a simple concept, but I've learned so much about how to stretch every dollar and in our home that makes a huge difference! It has changed how we will forever live and exchange money.

No comments: