Saturday, September 18, 2010

Go Hawks! (video)

The Iowa Hawkeyes are in Tucson! We all dug out our Hawkeye shirts from our last visit to Jen's family in Iowa and wore them all day long. Who cares if they are playing the University of Arizona downtown??? We bleed black and gold baby!


Peter has a few hawk shirts to juggle through today but most of them are getting too small. We'll have to buy some big ones next time. In the end he decided to go with his "I'm a Hawkeye Just Like My Aunt" shirt. Hi Aunt Angel! We were thinking about you today!!


We weren't able to arrange tickets to the game. It is one of those rare sold out Arizona games, Hawkeyes are very loyal travelers! But this morning when on Skype with my mom she found an Iowa pep rally called the Hawkeye Huddle was going on down at the Convention Center. Since John was working, Peter and I headed down there to join the Hawkeyes!


It was super exciting to be walking around downtown Tucson and seeing so many signs of Iowa. It made me feel like I was at home! There were probably a couple hundred people there all dressed in black and gold. Such fun!


Peter loved saying "Go Hawks Win!!!" and learned to say "Fight fight fight" during the fight song. Then he would get upset cause he knows you aren't supposed to fight. He was fascinated watching the cheerleaders flip and dance on the stage. Ultimately though he thought it was "too loud" and he was much happier when we left and went back outside.


Once again he was scared of the "big Herky" and only waved at him from across the stadium but I did manage to find him a small Herky doll for $5. I figured this was a great memory of the day. After all, how many times will we ever find a Herky in Arizona!?!?


Afterward, we had a long walk back to the car. The TCC parking lot cost $10! I ended up finding street parking about 4 blocks away. Peter was obviously tired though because he laid down on the sidewalk for a quick nap.


I also made a little video of Peter's first big Hawkeye event. Hopefully someday I'll be able to take him to a big game!

No comments: